Monday, January 30, 2012

Victory by Sewing

This is a WWII era poster. While the extreme propaganda of the War posters is reather surprising to my modern eye, it was an extreme time. I think about this a lot, lately, as more and more of my friends and relatives lose jobs because the company they work for has moved operations overseas.

I wonder what it will take for us, as a country, or rather for the very rich men who actually run the country, to strt making things here again?

I was at three diferent thrift stores today, scouting for machines. I didn't find any I wanted, although one store had a nice selection of fairly modern machines that would be good for any beginner. I did notice, as I always do, how busy thrift stores are these days. I don't remember them being so busy in the past. Perhaps my own fears and worries are magnifiying the situation. In any case, I didn't find any machines to play with, but I did find two shirts that I will be turning into fabric as soon as they come out of the dryer!
Posted by Picasa


Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've been going to thrift stores for years and years. There used to be only a few people in them at a time, now there are CROWDS of people in the ALL THE TIME. Finding 'Made in the USA' is also getting really hard, too.

Sarah Martin said...

Too true. Although last time I was at the Salvation Army store, standing at the checkout with armload of shirts, a lady behind me in line struck up a conversation. She was surprised my shirts were "all for fabric" and asked me about sewing lessons...We exchanged #s.
I seem to run into a lot of people who "wish they knew how to sew". So there is hope!