Sunday, October 21, 2007

Tender


This is son one and son two. The older one has just gotten a sombrero at a restaurant that provides those for birthday people. No age limit. I always get my sombrero, too.

I find myself wishing that I could freeze the world, and keep only these tender moments. I myself am very tender, as of late. I have been fighting with a loved one for almost three days- every time I think we have begun to climb out of the valley of the shadow of misunderstanding, we , or I, slide back in.

My mother, whom I should be cherishing, has been visiting on a nearly daily basis since her retirement. I am losing my mind, as she is an odd combination of tender hearted and sharp tongued, and cannot seem to put two words together without raising the hairs on my back. She also has a habit of putting things in the dishwasher other than dishes, where these things melt or are otherwise destroyed, and she is puzzled by this. See, they're not dishes, and that's why, but it does no good.

Even the knitting is suffering. I found myself, in the last few days, unable to follow a simple pattern, and have resorted to knitting a scarf out of two strands of lace weight, yarn over, knit two together. It's an uphill battle, but if I can persevere than I will have a token gift for one of the teachers. If I don't, well I will have ruined two balls of lace weight.

It all passes, good or bad, the good days end, the bad days end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just try to remember they will not always be there and you will miss them terrably when they are gone. keep trying, your readers are here!
lynn

Anonymous said...

If you do k2tog, yo, the exact same way every row, you get a strongly biased piece. If you stagger the pattern at the start of the row by one stitch that should pretty much balance it out, like Barbara Walker's Crystal pattern does.

Sorry about your mom. I read that thinking, please let me be a good mom to my kids...

Maybe your mom just needs to sit and chill out with some good yarn. I hope she knits?