Friday, August 21, 2009

Iraqui Boxes of Love

Here's the box the kids and I put together- the project specs are here. The only thing we bought was six yards of green fabric for $2 US per yard from the sale table. I had recently donated a bunch of bigger pieces to Goodwill, so I needed one to wrap the bundle. Everything else was stash- lots of cards of needles of the type I decided I don't like, hundreds of buttons from shirts and the like, four pairs of decent scissors that I never use, two boxes of pins that I bought before I found the ones that I love, and uses all the time, and six other assorted yards of fabric with no people depicted on it.

Well, I hope somewhere in Iraq, someday, a young man who is hearing that he needs to blow himself up because the Americans are evil pauses back to the day that the American soldiers gave his mom a bundle of sewing supplies, and how happy she was, and that the bundle was sent over by a regular American woman for his mom. Maybe she will be making her sons some nice little shirts for school out of that green fabric, and they will remember, and the world will change a little bit. I remain hopeful. My kids remain hopeful. I am so grateful to the US soldier who gave me the opportunity to reach out to a mother across the world.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I figured out how to do this. Amen!!! Thank you for sending your package. Change starts with just one person.
Mary

AlisonH said...

Wow. What a cool idea!