Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Good News/ Bad News

The bad news is I'm losing my vision in one eye rather rapidly.
The good news is its a cataract.

The bad news is no one knows why I would suddenly grow a cataract in one eye at age forty.
The good news is that lots and lots of people have this surgery- almost half of people in the US have had it by age eighty.

The bad news is that they fix it with a knife.
The good news is that I get a corrective lens implant, meaning that in that eye I will have much, much better vision, even without glasses.

The bad news is, I'm a little afraid.
The good news is, I get to keep my sight.

The good news wins.

5 comments:

Clare said...

Oh you poor love. How frightening. At least it is a cataract and nothing worse.

Mum had them in both eyes and the doctors fixed it with laser treatment. I would have thought the US would do the same.

Anonymous said...

Do you need a private duty nurse to care for you post-op? Let's say one with post-op icu skills?? Maybe that can be arranged???
Maggie

AlisonH said...

My brother-in-law had that surgery at I think 40; it's not so unusual.

My daughter had that surgery at age, I kid you not, SEVEN. You can do it. Go Laura. I will see you and be all the more grateful you can see me! at Stitches next month.

Linda in Alameda, CA said...

Of course, you're a little afraid. You're human. But your last line says it all - you do get to keep your sight. We are all hoping for the very best experience and outcome for you.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I had two cataracts removed about fifteen years ago. It was easy then, and is even better now. My friend had it done a couple of weeks ago, and she is very pleased with the result! She was knitting less than a week afterwards. They measure your eye just by you looking into a computer. I'll say a prayer for you.