Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hey, Sailor!

Here's a little cutie I got on ebay.

His uniform is perfect- right down to insignia.  Lost his hat, but I suppose that can happen in 60 years of seafaring.

I thought at first he was a folk art piece.  But, after undressing him, I thought that he had to have been made by someone who was accustomed to making dolls. The body and face, for example have a lot of shaping that is not intuitive. The workmanship is excellent- fine stitches, no visible knots, divided floss.

See the waist shaping?  The green lines?  It was a printed or transfer pattern.  So, home made but designed by a professional. That means there are more of them!  Anyone seen them?  Anyone know anything?  He is only my second male doll, but he seems perfectly happy sitting in with the ladies.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: